top of page

1953 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT
3rd Series

For Sale

  • Matching numbers

  • UK registered

  • Extensive restoration

 

  • Nardi floor-change

Lancia is one of the world’s oldest and most respected motor car manufacturers and the Aurelia is one of the most influential cars in motoring history.

 

Known for superb engineering and excellent performance the Aurelia was designed under the supervision of the legendary Vittorio Jano, the mastermind behind the all-conquering Alfa Romeo P2, 6C and 8C of the pre-war years. Jano’s arrival set the stage for Lancia’s burst of fame and glory on the international competition stage, in which the Aurelia would play a starring role.

 

Launched at the 1950 Turin Motor Show this revolutionary new model was initially available as a four-door saloon, but soon spawned spider and convertible variants plus a breathtakingly beautiful two-door coupe, the B20 GT. The B20 was styled by Ghia and had an advanced monocoque body built by Pininfarina.

 

The Aurelia was a ground-breaking design with a new, all-aluminium V6 engine (the world’s first production V6) set well back in the frame. Lancia’s famous independent sliding pillar front suspension was employed along with independent rear suspension. The gearbox and clutch were housed in a lightweight aluminium-cased transaxle which along with engine positioning gave an ideal 50/50 weight distribution. In addition, inboard rear brakes reduced unsprung weight.

 

The Aurelia was extremely successful in motorsport finishing second overall (to a Ferrari 340 America) at the 1951 Mille Miglia and achieving first in class at Le Mans the same year. The model also chalked up victories in the Targa Florio, Rome-Liege-Rome and Monte Carlo Rally.

 

Completed on the 25th November 1953, chassis 2932 is a desirable Third Series example. Third series Aurelias combined the lightness and nimbleness of the earlier 2.0 litre cars with the more powerful 115 bhp 2.5 litre engine. The independent rear suspension was carried over from the First and Second series cars so oversteer was still available on demand. 4th, 5th and 6th series cars had de Dion rear suspension which gave less entertaining handling and more creature comforts increased weight.

 

Our example is accompanied by an original UK buff logbook which shows it was imported from Italy by Chipstead Motors of London in 1963 and registered 769 FGK.

 

The logbook lists three British owners until it was exported back to Italy before being discovered in 2006 by the car’s current owner, a prominent British Lancia collector.

 

Subsequently, the Aurelia was purchased and entrusted in 2015 to leading UK Lancia restorers Thornley Kelham for a full restoration to ‘as new’ condition. The car was also returned to its original specification of ‘Amaranto’ (dark maroon) with grey ‘Panno’ Lancia wool cloth interior. The only exception to originality being the desirable conversion to floor-mounted gearchange using period-correct parts.

 

A photographic record of the restoration shows the bodyshell was completely stripped back to bare metal and all areas of corrosion fully repaired and all mechanicals were completely stripped and rebuilt.

 

Today, this beautiful Aurelia remains in excellent condition and represents a unique opportunity to acquire a desirable Third series example restored to ‘as new’ condition in a most attractive and original colour scheme and at a fraction of the cost of its very recent restoration.

POA

bottom of page