1930 Lagonda 2-Litre Low Chassis Tourer
67 year single family ownership
Good original condition
New hood in 2021
Spares package available
In the 1920s Lagonda introduced the 14/60 with its twin-cam, 1954cc, 4-cylinder engine with hemispherical combustion chambers. In 1927 the 2-litre Low-Chassis Speed Model was introduced which from 1930 included a supercharger to address the breathing issues of the standard engine.
To handle this significant increase in power a stronger crankshaft was fitted along with a 3-litre rear axle. Some 1,340 Low-Chassis examples were produced between 1929 and 1932 and fewer than 100 are believed to survive today.
This Low-Chassis 2-litre Supercharged has been in the King family since 1956 and was originally a ‘Supercharged’ model, however the supercharger was removed prior to the family acquiring the car. It has since run without a supercharger.
The late John King purchased RF 7829 in May 1956 in a tired state for the princely sum of £165, as evidenced by an original receipt and letter from its previous owner on file. John, a trainee mechanic and telecoms engineer then embarked on an extensive renovation using original components wherever possible. The restoration took over five years and was completed in 1961. The engine was recommissioned and the body finished in black leather-cloth. The wheels were finished in red and the interior retrimmed in red upholstery with matching red carpet. The colour scheme the car retains to this day.
John maintained the Lagonda during his sixty-three year ownership, even replacing the black leather-cloth himself in the 1990s. The car has been enjoyed by the family since with light but regular use over the years, including attendances at several VSCC events at Silverstone and Brands Hatch.
An engine rebuild was carried out between 2009 and 2013 along with the installation of a new clutch. A number of sensible upgrades have also been installed including discreet indicators and an electric cooling fan. A new hood and interior carpets were installed in 2021 by Creech Coach Trimming and new Blockley tyres fitted in 2022.
During the initial restoration, a second 2-litre low chassis (XV 3502) was purchased for spares along with a collection of over sixty items including engine block, two cylinder heads, rear axle, replacement gears, clutch parts, oil pump and filter, oak dashboard, steering wheel and Marles steering shaft, and are all available as a job lot by separate negotiation.
The Lagonda is now offered for sale on behalf of the family and remains in good original condition. The car is accompanied by an impressive history file which includes original receipts and invoices along with details of works completed and parts purchased. Also present are instruction manuals and John’s personal notes. In addition, a book of period photographs illustrate the current ownership and include photographs of the early restoration from the late 1950s.